Shaded Still Life
Objectives- The student will be able to:
Visual Art Standards: View the full list
Practice Shading a Value Scale:
1. View directions and videos below.
1. Select 3 to draw. (3 varying heights & overlapping).
2. Movement: Items must be in a triangular arrangement to create movement throughout your drawing.
- Can you turn an object to point to another?
- Which ones are taller?
3. Create a focal point:
~Line Drawing: You must develop emphasis on your still life drawing using thick and thin lines. Use the skills above.
~Shaded Drawing: Show the 5 principles of shading: Highlight, shade, shadow, reflected light and back shading. Develop strong contrast.
Higher Order Thinking:
4. Looking at the drawings (at right), which areas show strong contrast? Why?
5. How do the drawings to the right support placing items in a triangle arrangement?
Still Life Evaluation
Still Life Arrangements
Gray Value Scale
Video 1 Video 2
Other Shading Exercises