To create this project you will need to focus on:
- creating a harmonious, balanced composition in dark and light
- developing skills creating a high level of detail with a craft knife
Materials Needed: One green practice paper, one white rectangle, pencil
1. Begin by brainstorming 10 words that describe you!
2. Create 2 symbols for each word that is simple yet creative. You should have 20 symbols to choose from.
-Not sure about symbols? Look at google images for ideas.
3. Use your small rectangle to begin creating your design.
- 5 symbols (one on each side and one in the middle)
- size variety: small, medium, large (can be shape or line variety)
-If it is not symmetrical, draw the entire symbol touching the edge of the rectangle.
1. 5 symbols
2. Size (small med large)
4. Symmetry: Does your partner understand symmetry?
5. + what do you like?
Finish your group Exploded Square!
4. Edit your practice design: Look at your design you turned in!
-Space: Do you have empty space? Redraw some larger!
-Variety: Do you have small, medium, large symbols?
-5 symbols (one on each side and one in the middle)
5. Show Mrs. C your edited design!
6. Practice cutting with an craft knife: See Mrs. C!
-materials: cardboard, practice paper, craft knife
7. Practice organizing the cut pieces and gluing.
Editing: How could you make your cut pieces more creative?
Materials: 1 new rectangle and 1 large paper (choose one white or one color) glue, glue paper, craft knife, cardboard
1. Get materials
2. Draw symbols (The one Mrs. C approved!)
3. Begin cutting and arranging.
*Be careful and wash your hands if needed!
Students used a craft knife to carefully cut out their shapes and flipped them along the edges before gluing in place (in most cases, additional shapes were cut from already cut pieces and they were flipped back in towards the original square). Each is unique!